Friday, August 13, 2010

Technology

I am sure you see this heading and think, "really Jason?  Is this all you have to talk about right now?"  Well what I want to say is how wonderful technology has become and how it will help Matthew and I keep our relationship going while I am away.  I was downloading Skype today and teaching Matthew how to use it, I was so amazed that I can be on the other end of the country, or even the world and I am able to see Matthew, the pugs and the cats.   I think that it will help me to feel less lonely or being able to see my husband when things are getting tough.

I wonder however what it was like when couples did this without the technology that we currently have.  Letters would be a great way to talk to each other but by the time the other party received it it would be a week or more.  I think that this truly helps a couple to love each other more.  The saying, "distance makes the heart grow fonder" is something that is easy to say but when you are in the thick of it it might now always feel as easy as it is to say it.

This will be the first time that I have been away from Matthew for so long, and it makes me wonder how we are to keep our relationship healthy with me being 1,500 miles away.  My priest gave the suggestion that we go for a walk together, now I think that it might be very expense to fly home for a walk.  She told me that we call each other (thank God for free mobile to mobile minutes) and we talk as if we were standing next to each other. We can take pictures to show the other person what we are seeing and have the ability to get that communication that is so necessary for a relationship; and it is thanks to technology. 

Peace,
Jason Lucas