Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Routine

Now that I am about to finish my second week of classes the routine is really starting to kick in.  I really did not realize how important a routine was in my life.  I would go through my days in the secular world and it was just how it was.  I would take the bus, go to work, come home, do homework, go to bed and then start the whole process over again the next day. 

Going for having a regular routine to one where classes are one certain days at certain times as well as having chapel life really was hard for me to get into the habit of doing it.   Now however, I really am finding that I have a routine that is starting to take over and that it will need to be reviewed from time to time but for the most part it is going pretty well.  The chapel needed someone to come and open the chapel each morning at 7:00, I always loved doing morning prayer but I preferred morning prayer to be around 9:00 or 10:00, unfortunately that was not the case.  So I decided that I would take on the job, this made me accountable to be there every morning.  So now I get to wake up (some days easier than the others) and open the chapel.  Luckily my commute to my "job" is walking out of my dorm building across the courtyard and to the chapel approximately 57 seconds unless there is traffic.  Traffic is usually someone out walking their dog and of course I need to give them petting.  After I open the chapel, I get about 15-20 min to sit back and work on contemplative prayer.  Many of you know that me being quiet is not one of my gifts but at this time of the morning it forces me to work on praying and being quite. 

I also have a work study job, I am working at the front desk of the school.  It is really fun to be back in my "admin" role that I loved so much when I was working at Ameriprise.  I get to be back in the "corporate" world again and I think that I really enjoy that.  Now I have not started e-mail bingo here at Berkeley but I am sure that it might happen one of these days :-)

Homework is something that I thought I would do OK but here I really got the wake up call that here I need to keep in front of my homework.  I don't think that I have had so much reading ever in my life.  I will admit that there are things that I don't understand or just don't get but the faculty here are really awesome and will help you work through it.  I know that this evening I am headed back to my room after evening prayer and dinner locking my room and then hitting the books and not coming out until it is done. 

Life in a dorm is a really interesting thing.  I have made my little place at CDSP pretty cozy, I have my TV (this was not negotiable) but no cable but I really enjoy the space.  I really is hard to walk in my door and not have two little pugs running all over the place so excited to see me.  I have two stuffed pugs and they really could care less that I am there or not.  The people of the dorm however are just wonderful.  It is this little community that really looks out for each other.  This makes being away from my community in Minnesota hurt less.  I will say that I do miss having my own bathroom or having to get up in the middle of the night get dressed and then go to the bathroom is starting to get a little old but oh well.

I got a letter the other day from Sandy Puckett who is a member of my parish back home.  I was so excited to see something from home from someone I knew.  I don't know what it is but I always think that getting a handwritten letter is so wonderful.  The letter she sent me was wonderful, and I loved it very much.  When there are times I am starting to get lonely I pull the letter out as well as other cards that I have received from people (which I love just as much) and instantly I am back home in Minnesota.  Know I would love to send a hand written letter to all of you but God has blessed me with many gifts but good handwriting is not one of them.  Based off of my handwriting you would think that I should be in Med School or that I just finished a class in Hieroglyphics.  But I am working on it, I got a kit that will help me to learn calligraphy so hopefully soon I will be back in the legible writing game.

Finally, I want to share with you a link that I just thought was so cute.  I was in my Old Testament class and the professor said if we can explain a story like this little girl did about John the Baptist then we were golden.  I hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgEtHJtCY6Q

I miss all of you so much!! Thank you so much for your love and support!!



Peace,


Jason Lucas