Monday, October 8, 2012

Hello from the land of Sunshine!

It is hard to imagine that I am quickly coming up on reading week, which is the 1/2 point of the semester.  Soon my thoughts will quickly turn towards finals and another semester will be done.  It is hard to imagine that this journey is quickly coming to an end, when I first started I thought that seminary would never end but the days keep going quicker and quicker!  I think that the main reason is that I am now doing things and putting the book learning to action.  I have been working as a Deacon at Church of our Saviour in Mill Valley, this is the same parish where I had been the seminarian last year and I was offered and I accepted the ability to work there during my Transitional Diaconate year.  I have been serving in the liturgy, going on pastoral care visits, and leading the stewardship campaign this year. 

In September I was approached and told that there was someone who found out that her brother was killed in Guatemala, she was crushed that she would not be able to go to the funeral.  As I was talking to her the spirit spoke and we decided to hold a memorial service  for her brother.  I was asked to lead it and to continue the pastoral care for her and her family.  I was amazed to see how beautiful the experience was!  To walk with someone on there journey is where God is calling me to be and this situation helped confirm it.  I was also able to practice my Spanish, being a native speaker I had thought I had lost alot of my Spanish since moving to Minnesota but I was amazed how much I remembered and it was old hat for me!

I am currently taking Christian Ethics, Exegesis of Luke for Preaching, a Special Reading Course (independent study) on Latin American Anglicanism, and Senior Liturgical studies. The classes are alot of work and reading but it is so worth it.

Prayers and blessings to you all!

The Rev. Jason Lucas